The best way to learn how to use the theme customizer is to jump in and test things out for yourself. You can always restore to default if you don’t like the changes.
The theme customizer displays your customizations in real time. However, the changes won’t display on your blog until you save them.
Getting Started With the Theme Customizer
You can access the theme customizer in your wp-admin by going to Appearance > Customize. Here is a quick breakdown of what you can do with the theme customizer.
1. Blog Layout (and post excerpts)
This is where you customize your blog layout and decide if you want to use full posts or excerpt posts on your blog.
- Blog Page Layout: this is where you choose the layout for your blog page.
- Archive Page Layout: this is where you choose the layout for your archive page (such as your categories page)
- Single Blog Post Layout: this is where you choose the layout for your individual blog posts. Meaning, when you click through to your post..
- Excerpt Automatic: choose if you want to display your full post, or a small except of the post on the blog home page. When using excerpt posts, the “featured image” will be pulled for the post image of the excerpt. If you do not have a featured image, no image will display in the post excerpt.
2. Site Title and Tagline a.k.a. Site Identity
This is where you can edit your blog title and tagline. You can also choose to hide this text from your header by unchecking the Display Site Title and Tagline box.
3. Slider Options
This is where you activate or deactivate your home page slider. You can also change the slider arrow colors (directions colors) from here. To set up your slider, view our Home Page Slider Tutorial.
This is where you change the fonts throughout the theme. To change your fonts, view our Fonts Tutorial.
This is where you change the colors throughout the theme. To change your colors, view our Colors Tutorial.
6. Header Image
This is where you can upload your own header image. To upload your header, view our Upload Header tutorial.
You will only see this option if you have the Woocommerce Colors plugin installed.
8. Background Image
If your theme allows a custom background image, this is where you will upload your background image.
9. Footer Credits
This is where you can edit the themes footer credits. If you are a Beautiful Dawn Designs Affiliate, be sure to include your affiliate link in the footer.
To alter the footer with your own links, you need to create an HTML link. Here’s how it should look:
<a href="URL Here">Your Text Here</a> Example: <a href="https://beautifuldawndesigns.net/affiliate-area/">Affiliate Area</a>
10. Custom CSS
This is where you can add custom CSS to the theme.
You can edit your navigation menu here. You can also edit your menu by going to Appearance > Menus in your wp-admin.
12. Custom Footer Scripts
This is where you add custom scripts to the themes footer.
This is where you customize your widgets. You can also customize your widgets by going to Appearance > Widgets in your wp-admin.
14. Static Front Page
This is where you choose how your front page displays (static or latest posts).